- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Chasing Space (Amistad, May 23) by Leland Melvin
In this inspirational memoir about his adventure-packed life, Melvin, an NFL player turned astronaut, traces his journey from the football field to outer space and the struggles he had to overcome (including a severe injury that left him deaf) along the way.
The Talented Ribkins (Melville House, Aug. 8) by Ladee Hubbard
Toni Morrison gave a glowing endorsement to this magical realism spin on W.E.B. Du Bois’ 1903 influential leadership essay “The Talented Tenth.” In Hubbard’s debut novel, a family of superpowered civil rights activists turns to petty crime.
This story first appeared in the Aug. 9 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine. To receive the magazine, click here to subscribe.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day