- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Andy Ritchie, the comedian whose battle with cancer spurred his colleagues and contemporaries into crowdfunding his medical bills, has died.
The Canadian-born, Minnesota-raised comic died of a brain tumor on Thanksgiving, his friend Brendon Walsh confirmed on the GoFundMe page set up to raise money for Ritchie’s medical expenses.
“Andy passed away this afternoon at Hollywood Presbyterian. His mom, Ruby, and his brother Simon were all with him. I don’t know what else to say. He was a great guy. Listen to his album on Spotify or download it or whatever. He’s hilarious. Thanks for everything you all did to help. Have a good Thanksgiving,” Walsh wrote and also asked that people stop donating.
The GoFundMe campaign raised over $100,000 in four months and the #ForAndy campaign saw other prominent comedians get involved to raise cash including Colton Dunn and Nick Swardson.
Comedian Daniel Tosh, another friend of Ritchie’s, raised cash by first auctioning off props from his Comedy Central show Tosh.0 and then doubling the money by betting against his favorite NFL team.
— Brendon Walsh (@brendonwalsh) November 26, 2015
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day