- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The body of YouTube gaming star Etika was positively identified Tuesday by New York City police, nearly a week after he was reported missing.
Born Desmond Amofah, the 29-year-old’s body was recovered Monday night off Pier 16 in Lower Manhattan, according to authorities. He was reported missing last Wednesday.
His belongings were found nearby where the body was recovered. Police did not release any further information.
Etika was a well-known YouTube gaming personality, who began to raise red flags about his well-being when he posted a number of suicidal tweets in April.
In a since-deleted YouTube video posted June 19, cited by numerous outlets, Etika warned about the dangers of social media.
“It can give you an image of what you want your life to be and get blown completely out of proportion,” he said, according to outlets that cited the video. “It consumed me.”
The gaming personality had hundreds of thousands of followers across his various social media platforms.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day