- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
When Fight Club author Chuck Palahniuk saw a friend coloring, he says he “teased her about doing such a child’s pasttime. She had to explain that the whole world is doing this.” Now he’s curating his own adult coloring book, Bait: Off-Color Stories for You to Color (Dark Horse Books, Oct. 26). Palahniuk says he’s surprised by the number of colleagues who indulge: “I don’t want to name names, but it’s across the board.”
According to Nielsen BookScan, more than 12 million adult coloring books were sold in 2015, up from 1 million in 2014. Larry Shaw, a psychotherapist whose patients include entertainment types, says coloring allows a person to shut everything else out: “It pulls you out of the linear part of the brain and into the creative sphere.” In the spirit of wellness, THR commissioned an original coloring-book page to try at home.
Click below for a printable version.
This story first appeared in the July 15 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine. To receive the magazine, click here to subscribe.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Jeriana San Juan