- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Former President Jimmy Carter told his church in Plains, Ga., on Sunday that his 28-year-old grandson, Jeremy Carter, has died. Maranatha Baptist Church Rev. Jeremy Shoulta told CNN that Jeremy Carter’s heart stopped after he laid down to take a nap.
According to CNN, the minister said Carter was rushed to a hospital after the family tried CPR.
“They were trying to keep his heart going and eventually, later in the night or the wee hours of [Sunday] morning, his heart stopped,” Shoulta told CNN.
He added that Jimmy Carter continued to teach Sunday school at the church after revealing the news.
“Our church plays an important role in his [President Carter’s] life and he feels committed to his responsibilities here at the church,” said Shoulta. “His presence at the church today gave him an opportunity to fulfill his obligations to the church and also to feel the loving presence of his faith community.”
Earlier this year, Carter, 90, revealed that he has cancer. He said he discovered his cancer after undergoing surgery to remove a small mass in his liver.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day