- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Patti LuPone sings powerfully about growing older in “Forever Beautiful” from War Paint.
The ballad, which The Hollywood Reporter debuts exclusively, is from the new musical in which LuPone and Christine Ebersole star as rival makeup titans Helena Rubinstein and Elizabeth Arden, respectively. Both women were founders and CEOs of their industry-dominating businesses, and passed the title of world’s richest woman back and forth over multiple decades.
Currently playing at the Nederlander Theatre and directed by Michael Greif, the production nabbed Tony nominations for LuPone and Ebersole, as well as costume design and set design.
“In ‘Forever Beautiful,’ LuPone sings with passion of the timelessness of art compared to the futility of their efforts to halt the aging process,” writes THR upon reviewing the show. “In one of set designer David Korins‘ most stunning tableaus, portraits commissioned by Rubinstein from great artists descend around her during the number.”
Ghostlight Records releases the cast recording of War Paint digitally on May 26.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day