- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
One of the Miss America contestants slammed President Trump during the Q&A portion of the pageant Sunday night.
Miss Texas, Margana Wood, was asked about Trump’s response to the incidents last month in Charlottesville, Va. The U.S. president stirred controversy when he initially declined to single out the white supremacists and neo-Nazis whose demonstration against the removal of a Gen. Robert E. Lee statue had led to violence and the death of a counterprotester in Charlottesville. He also said that there are “some very fine people” on both sides.
Wood took her 20 seconds of allotted time to answer the question to criticize Trump.
“I think that the white supremacist issue, it was very obvious that it was a terrorist attack,” she said. “And I think that President Donald Trump should’ve made a statement earlier addressing the fact, and in making sure all Americans feel safe in this country. That is the No. 1 issue right now.”
— Cara Mund (@MissAmerica) September 11, 2017
Miss North Dakota, Cara Mund, was crowned Miss America 2018 during the pageant, which aired live on ABC. Mund bested a field of 51 competitors from each state and the District of Columbia during the weeklong event’s finale Sunday night in Atlantic City.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day