- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The actress obtained the domestic violence temporary restraining order against Matthew Prokop on Sept. 19. News that the couple had ended their five-year relationship broke in August.
“Out of respect for the court, the process and all parties, I have advised Ms. Hyland not to comment on the matter,” Hyland’s attorney said in a statement. “We request that you respect the parties’ privacy during this time.”
According to TMZ, the restraining order states that Prokop, an actor who met Hyland while while both appeared in High School Musical 3, was physically and verbally abusive to her during the final four years of their relationship. In one incident, Prokop reportedly choked Hyland and repeatedly used an offensive slur after a disagreement about her outfit.
The documents, according to TMZ, add that Prokop threatened to set fire to Hyland’s home and threatened harm to her dog. She ultimately asked her Modern Family co-star Julie Bowen to help her end the relationship.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day