- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Netflix released new data on Wednesday focused on the episodes in TV series that hook a viewer to watch the full season.
The pilot is not the pivotal episode that creates addicted fans, in fact, it is often the 2nd or 3rd episode that draws viewers in, and sometimes it can even be the 8th.
Netflix analyzed its global streaming data across the first seasons of multiple shows to determine what the “hooked episode” is. In other words, which episode most often inspired viewers to keep going. The data showed that 70% of viewers who watched the hooked episode continued on to complete the inaugural season or more.
Scandal hooked viewers on the second episode, while the love for Frank Underwood grew in the third episode of House of Cards. It wasn’t until the eighth episode that Netflix viewers were truly hooked on How I Met Your Mother.
The streaming service analyzed data from accounts in the U.S., U.K., Brazil, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Australia and New Zealand.
As it turns out, Australia and New Zealand viewers get hooked one or two episodes later than the other countries on almost every show. Conversely, the Dutch get hooked one episode ahead of the majority of the other countries. France had an early fandom for How I Met Your Mother while Germany took a quick liking to Arrow.
“Given the precious nature of primetime slots on traditional TV, a series pilot is arguably the most important point in the life of the show,” said Ted Sarandos, chief content officer for Netflix. “However, in our research of more than 20 shows across 16 markets, we found that no one was ever hooked on the pilot. This gives us confidence that giving our members all episodes at once is more aligned with how fans are made.”
Here’s the full list of hooked episodes determined from the study:
1. Arrow, Episode 8*
2. Bates Motel, Episode 2
3. Better Call Saul, Episode 4*
4. Bloodline, Episode 4
5. BoJack Horseman, Episode 5
6. Breaking Bad, Episode 2*
7. Daredevil, Episode 5
8. Dexter, Episode 3*
9. Gossip Girl, Episode 3
10. Grace & Frankie, Episode 4
11. How I Met Your Mother, Episode 8
12. House of Cards, Episode 3*
13. Mad Men, Episode 6*
14. Marco Polo, Episode 3
15. Orange is the New Black, Episode 3
16. Once Upon A Time, Episode 6
17. Pretty Little Liars, Episode 4
18. Scandal, Episode 2
19. Sense8, Episode 3*
20. Sons of Anarchy, Episode 2*
21. Suits, Episode 2*
22. The Blacklist, Episode 6*
23. The Killing, Episode 2
24. The Walking Dead, Episode 2*
25. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Episode 4
*denotes shows not available in all countries
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Kelly Clarkson Show
Roe V. Wade