- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Spanish figure skater Javier Fernandez channeled one of film history’s great comic icons in his short program on Thursday night.
Wearing a costume with a small, close-fitting blazer and embroidered with a flower, mirroring Charlie Chaplin’s iconic look, Fernandez performed to the soundtrack of Chaplin’s 1936 film Modern Times during the men’s shorts program. Fernandez also performed an homage to Chaplin in his performance by portraying some of his his signature physical comedy in the routine, minus any falling.
Fernandez has expressed his passion for the English comic actor in performances before, including at the 2013 European Championships, the 2017 Autumn Classic International and the 2018 European Championships.
Fernandez landed second place for his nearly flawless performance on Thursday, which earned a 107.58 score. He was behind only Japan’s Yuzuru Hanyu, who was awarded a 111.68. Friday’s free skate competition will determine medals for the competitors.
Watch Fernandez’s performance here.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day