- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Rosie O’Donnell‘s father, Edward Joseph O’Donnell, died of cancer on Sunday, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. He was 81.
Edward worked in the defense industry as an electrical engineer upon immigrating from Ireland to Long Island, New York.
Rosie has admitted to having a strained relationship with her father after her mother, Roseann O’Donnell, died of breast cancer when she was just 10 years old.
“He had his own issues and demons, he had a very tough childhood, he had an alcoholic, abusive father and never really got the help that I think every person needs when they have lived through that as a child,” the comedian told Piers Morgan in 2012. “I think that he had a lot of problems to deal with.”
On Sunday afternoon, she posted a cryptic photo with the message “through him – with him – in him” on her Twitter account.
“through him – with him – in him …” pic.twitter.com/0ev1tAmEC2
— Rosie (@Rosie) August 23, 2015
The tragic news comes just a few days after Rosie’s 17-year-old daughter, Chelsea O’Donnell, was reported missing. She was later found unharmed in the attic of convicted criminal Steven Sheerer‘s home. The 25-year-old, who had previously been charged with heroin possession and child endangerment in 2012, was arrested on Saturday.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day