- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Strictly Ballroom the Musical is headed to the UK for the holidays.
Baz Luhrmann’s stage musical adaptation of his 1992 cult film will make its UK debut at West Yorkshire Playhouse, Leeds, on Nov. 30, and play through Jan. 21, 2017.
The show — which centers on a championship ballroom dancer who defies the rules to follow his heart — made its world premiere at Sydney’s Lyric Theatre in April 2014, followed by seasons in Melbourne and Brisbane the following year. Luhrmann directed that production, featuring choreography by John O’Connell and set and costume design by Oscar winner Catherine Martin.
The UK staging will be revamped with Drew McOnie directing and choreographing. Terry Johnson also joins the creative team to adapt the original book, penned by Luhrmann and Craig Pearce.
Strictly Ballroom the Musical features numbers from the film such as “Love is in the Air,” “Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps” and “Time After Time,” as well as new songs by artists including Sia, David Foster and Eddie Perfect. It is a co-production by Global Creatures and West Yorkshire Playhouse.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day