- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Armani Prive red carpet regulars like Anne Hathaway and Cate Blanchett may be a tad lost after seeing photos from this week’s couture showing by the Italian fashion giant: it was heavy on the mismatched evening tuxes — shine against matte, long and lean silvery-colored jackets shown with blue metallic silk soft trousers — but not on the plethora of gown stunners that one expects of Mr. Armani.
PHOTOS: Cannes 2012: Fashion Highs and Lows
Yes, there were a few interesting long on glam dress numbers in the trouser-packed collection — an ombre gown that features an ivory neckline, then fades to black, and one pink/blue/silver-striped ombre’d gown shown in the blueish silver tones that showed up in other couture shows for fall. But the few other gowns were simple classic black numbers, and only one tight beaded gown with a slashed v-neck that looked like it was made for Megan Fox (when she gets her post-pregnancy body back).
Of course, Armani can still whip up a gown for any star he chooses to do so for, but this particular show made it look like he’s going the classic YSL “Le Smoking” Marlene Dietrich– tux-for-black-tie-evenings route. While it looked fresh and modern, and menswear is indeed hot for ladies this fall, Hollywood women still need to go the gown-for-the-red carpet route, and many many times during an awards season.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day