- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
At the Met Ball, perhaps more than any other red carpet, it seems the dress truly dictates the rest of the look. For Daisy Ridley’s first turn at the fashion spectacular, she opted for a black-and-white Oscar de la Renta that called for a timeless beauty look with a little drama.
To prepare, makeup artist Mai Quynh says she “looked up old [Richard] Avedon photos — to me it had a classic but glamorous vibe.”
The resulting makeup was modernized but still featured one hallmark of those throwback images: a dramatic cat eye. To achieve the perfect lines, Quynh used a black gel liner to, in her words, “create a beautiful, glamorous, thick cat eye.” Her secret weapon: “Lots of Q-tips and eye makeup remover to help create the perfect liner.”
But Ridley’s peepers weren’t the only feature Quynh wanted to highlight. She sees the actress’ skin as a key focal point, too.
To make it really glow, she prepped her complexion with Kiehl’s Turmeric & Cranberry Seed Energizing Radiance Masque, and applied EX1 Invisiwear Liquid Foundation with a foundation brush, adding a dusting of EX1 Invisiwear Compact Powder. The finishing touch: A coat of NARS Audacious Lipstick in Brigitte, whose namesake is the perfect muse for Ridley’s look.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day