- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
This story first appeared in the Jan. 23 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
Fred Segal’s holiday cards are always greeted with anticipation. This year, the 81-year-old L.A. retail icon sent a powerful message with his annual friends-and-family mailings, announcing he had suffered a stroke on Feb. 5, 2014, and that “life as we knew it would never be the same.” But if the photo showing him raising his middle finger with the words “Stroke This” was any indication, Segal’s will to live is strong.
Read more Fred Segal Plans Global Expansion
“The doctors warned us there was a slim chance for survival, so we were prepared for the worst,” his daughter, Annie Segal, tells THR exclusively. “It’s a miracle he’s not only alive, but living really well under the circumstances, at home in Santa Monica [with wife Tina]. Everyone involved couldn’t believe the turnaround he made.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day