- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Early on in the Academy Awards red carpet there were already clear trends emerging. Chief among them: midnight blue. While black tends to rule, many of the men in attendance instead chose dark tuxes in another classic shade. And several top actresses also donned the shade.
Naomi Watts turned heads when she arrived in a sequin-covered midnight gown, on the arm of hubby Liev Schreiber. Sofia Vergara was resplendent in an embellished, draped Marchesa gown. Brie Larson’s stylist Cristina Ehrlich teased a peek of her client’s pleated cobalt gown with black and pearl embroidery detail.
Patricia Arquette opted for navy, too, hers a fitted off-the-shoulder creation with a structured bow at the bust. Mindy Kaling’s two-tone Elizabeth Kennedy gown featured blue off-the-shoulder sleeves with a voluminous matching bow cascading down the back into a train.
For the men attending, blue was also an overwhelming favorite. Sylvester Stallone, Dave Grohl and Finn Wittrock all showed up in tuxedos in the shade. Michael Strahan looked impeccable in a three-piece azure suit, and for his own Oscar viewing party, Elton John chose a statement-making metallic midnight tuxedo. With an hour to go, who else will show up in the color of the night?
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day