- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
What does L.A. smell like? Among the first things that come to mind are the ocean, kale and In-N-Out Burger.
But Haley Alexander Van Oosten, founder of the innovative fragrance label L’Oeil du Vert, has a different view of the scent of the great City of Angels. In fact, Van Oosten took the interpretation of L.A.’s scent quite literally, capturing the smells of the Hollywood Hills in her new fragrance, Hollywood Jasmine.
Unlike the overproduced, sultry sweet scents that drift out of storefronts on Rodeo Drive, Hollywood Jasmine is earthy and sharp like incense, featuring notes of wild pink jasmine and green flora. It’s evocative of a day hike in Runyon Canyon or a night spent outside on the deck overlooking the canyons.
The scent is definitely in the spirit of L.A.’s yoga-practicing, green-juice-drinking bohemians and, with its wood and brass packaging, would be the perfect addition to any Silver Lake bungalow’s vanity.
Van Oosten, an L.A. native who picked up knowledge of oils and scents from travels through Asia and the Middle East, built her business creating custom fragrances for clients, and now also creates limited-edition scents like Hollywood Jasmine, which is available exclusively at Violet Grey ($325).
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day