- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Pharrell’s giant brown hat at the 2014 Grammys stole the show at the awards show, inviting comparisons to Smokey the Bear’s signature headgear and the Arby’s logo, as well as spawning its own Twitter account and an eventual sale for $44,100 to the fast-food chain (for charity).
This year’s game-changing music man chapeau? Nick Cannon’s white turban.
From the neck down the rapper looked like he came from a pickup game of basketball — baggy white shorts, a white sleeveless shirt and high-tops. But to top off the look, instead of a baseball cap, Mariah Carey’s ex chose a turban, perhaps taking a cue from Old Hollywood stars of yore Elizabeth Taylor, Greta Garbo and Lana Turner. Another potential source of inspiration? Jennifer Lopez’s gold turban at the 2006 VMAs.
Just as Pharrell’s Vivienne Westwood toque was impossible to miss, so is Cannon’s bright white turban, studded with a sparkly jewel. This is not the TV host’s first time wearing such a flamboyant topper: He hung out with Kanye West at The Nice Guy in Hollywood this summer wearing a camouflage turban, and has worn the wrapped-up look in London, too.
Evidently Cannon is well on his way to making the male turban his “thing,” just as Pharrell went through his mega-sized hat phase.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day