- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Nominees and presenters at Sunday’s event, which is dedicated to the victims, are wearing a special silver ribbon designed by William Ivey Long, a veteran Broadway costumer and a six-time Tony winner.
The Tony Awards Productions team issued the following statement with regards to the shooting: “Our hearts are heavy for the unimaginable tragedy that happened last night in Orlando. Our thoughts are with the families and friends of those affected. The Tony Awards dedicate tonight’s ceremony to them.”
Thus far on the red carpet, Girls actor Andrew Rannells,The Walking Dead‘s Danai Gurira and the evening’s host, James Corden, have sported the silver ribbons on their lapels. Gurira and other Broadway stars including Laura Benanti and Lin-Manuel Miranda also have tweeted their support for the victims:
My heart and prayers are with all those affected by this senseless act of violence in Orlando. We cannot let this continue.
— Danai Gurira (@DanaiGurira) June 12, 2016
— Lin-Manuel Miranda (@Lin_Manuel) June 12, 2016
Tonight, every note I sing will be in remembrance of the lives taken in Orlando.
— Laura Benanti (@LauraBenanti) June 12, 2016
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day