- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
This awards season saw an all-black red carpet during the 75th Golden Globes, which continued to some extent into the events that followed, including the BAFTAs.
But it’s clear tonight at the 90th Oscars that things have swung in the opposite direction on the sartorial color spectrum.
White was the color (non-color?) of the night with stars including Margot Robbie in Chanel, Mary J. Blige in Versace, Timothee Chalamet in Berlutti, Laura Dern in Calvin Klein, Dee Rees in a Thom Browne tailcoat and Tiffany Haddish in a traditional Eritrean gown.
There are also plenty of barely blush and nude looks adding to the overwhelmingly pale palette of the evening.
Perhaps it was somewhat of a fashion reset to use stark white considering the politicized nature of the red carpet this awards season? It read like a sign that the carpet may have lightened up but the fight continues.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day