- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Tumblr
Industry parents at a loss in August can still enroll bored kids in some of the town’s top day and sleepaway camps — with "service equivalent to Four Seasons" — for everything from audition skills to exploring wilderness.
"My entire family has been a huge fan of summer camp,” says Richard Feldstein, business manager for Madonna, Drake and Pharrell. “All my kids [including actor Jonah Hill and Lady Bird’s Beanie Feldstein] have been sent to sleepaways.” This year, L.A. camps are reporting a rise in inquiries about gluten-free meals (“Parents request chefs replace bread with their gluten-free brand,” says Iverbe director Bobby Hamm) and security (“I detected an uptick in asking about access after the Malibu park shooting,” says Camp Hess Kramer’s Janine Regal).
But overall, as parents contemplate late summer at some of these trusted hideaways, “there’s been a decrease in helicopter parenting,” says Tumbleweed owner Andy Kimmelman. Check out the industry’s current favorites.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day