- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Tumblr
Dozens of actresses have gladly gone down the rabbit hole in order to play Alice, the young girl immortalized in British author Lewis Carroll's 1865 novel, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, a sequel, Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There, published in 1871. There have been countless stage plays, films and television movies adapting Carroll's classic adventure tale about a world populated with strange and quirky creatures, such as the Mad Hatter and the Cheshire Cat.
Mia Wasikowska is the latest thespian to star as Alice, first in the 2010 blockbuster Alice in Wonderland and now in the sequel, Alice Through the Looking Glass, which is opening in theaters over the long Memorial Day weekend.
Here's a glance at Wasikowska and 15 other actresses who have played the eponymous character through the decades — including Meryl Streep, who appeared in the Public Theater's 1980 stage production, Alice in Concert.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day