- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Tumblr
It's debatable whether people should be evaluated by their clothing. After all, how much can you really tell about someone based solely on what they’re wearing?
Well, for characters in television shows, the answer is quite a lot. Costumes create backstories for our favorite fictitious friends and — if we look closely — can carry hidden messages (such as paranoia, as we’ll learn further down from Veronica Mars costume designer Salvador Perez). They also spark fashion trends in the real world among fans who are swept up in the narrative.
The Hollywood Reporter has explored these ideas before, including last year when we delved into the backstories of 10 of the best TV costumes of the past decade. And now we’re doing it again, this time going back a bit further to look at the origin stories for some of the most influential television costumes from the dawn of Peak TV, based on expert input. Below, we offer the best TV costumes from shows that ran during the decade from 1998 to 2008:
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day