- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Tumblr
Cicely Tyson, who died Thursday at 96, had a long and successful acting career, earning 11 Emmy nods among many other awards and nominations. From her breakout role in Sounder to her guest spot on ABC’s How To Get Away With Murder, Tyson always gave heart-wrenching performances that stick with audiences.
The New York native was first discovered by a photographer for Ebony magazine. She quickly became a popular fashion model. Tyson began working on television in 1951, then taking roles on soap operas and films. Ten years later, she had her theater debut in Jean Genet’s The Blacks. From there, she only soared higher and higher. She earned nominations for all top acting awards and forged important relationships along the way. At her TCM hand and footprint ceremony, director and friend Tyler Perry was there to celebrate with her.
Take a look at the roles that have earned Cicely Tyson some of the highest awards given out and cemented her place as a Hollywood legend.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day