- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Tumblr
The last 10 years have brought the video game industry, now some 50 years old, to the forefront like never before with the launch of software that makes gaming more accessible and portable, such as the Nintendo Switch console and the introduction of live-streaming platforms like Twitch and Microsoft's Mixer, as well as gaming subscriptions like Apple Arcade and Xbox Game Pass becoming the norm. And, of course, the swift rise of professional streamers in the esports industry.
At The Game Awards earlier this month, ex-Nintendo chief Reggie Fils-Aimé predicted advances to come. "As the technology evolves to be cloud, and as download speeds increase, what it means is you're going to be able to play any game on any device at any time," he said.
As we prepare to wave goodbye to the last decade and stumble into a brand-new abyss, The Hollywood Reporter revisits some of the gaming trends that have changed and defined the last decade.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day