- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Tumblr
A fresh influx of names and faces from all corners of the globe and industry burst onto the world stage in somewhat spectacular fashion in 2019.
From Park So-dam, who wowed audiences as a likable con artist in Bong Joon-ho's all-conquering critical darling Parasite, to Laurie Nunn, whose teen comedy creation Sex Education became one of Netflix's top streamed shows, to Krysty Wilson-Cairns, who helped pen 1917, one of the most talked about films this awards season — an international assortment of actors, writers and filmmakers are likely to look back on 2019 as the year that truly lit the spark under their careers.
There was also a French director, a Russian actress, a London musician-turned-filmmaker and more who made a splash and are hoping to continue their momentum.
For some, the year isn't quite over yet and could well roll on to the Oscars (Mati Diop's Cannes Film Festival-bowing debut Atlantics is shortlisted in the best international film category at the Academy Awards). Meanwhile, others have already moved on to their next projects. But whatever they do next, the industry will now likely keep a keen eye on their progress.
Here is The Hollywood Reporter's list of the 12 top international breakouts of 2019.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day