- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Tumblr
John Oliver only has half an hour on his Sunday show, Last Week Tonight, but he makes it count. With five seasons under his belt, Oliver has become known for his over-the-top stunts as he performs intensive examinations of social and political issues.
Whether filming a video featuring cameos from Hollywood stars or secretly creating his own church (Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption), children's book or Trump-inspired hat, the comedian’s gags always set out to prove a point. And they often make headlines long after the credits roll.
Recently, he purchased Russell Crowe’s jockstrap from the film Cinderella Man for $7,000 in a (futile) bid to save one of the last Blockbusters from closing. Now that the store is going under, it's unknown what will become of the infamous item of clothing.
Oliver has won the best variety talk series Emmy for the past two years and he has a chance to continue his streak this year with Last Week Tonight up for both that award and eight other prizes.
Ahead of this year's Emmys, take a look back at some of Oliver's memorable stunts over the past five years.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day