- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade began in 1924, and in that time has become an American staple for the holiday season. The world’s largest parade, it has been broadcast on NBC since 1952 and includes giant balloons, floats, musical performances and marching bands.
The parade started with Macy’s employees marching to the store’s first location at Herald Square, dressed in costume and accompanied by floats, bands and live animals. This first parade also started the tradition of closing out the show with an appearance by Santa Claus, which continues to this day. It has run every year since 1924 except for 1942-44, when it was suspended due to the World War II need for helium and rubber.
Throughout the 90 years of the parade, there were bound to be some problems, and from balloon malfunctions to lip sync screw-ups, that has definitely been the case. Check out the videos below of some of the show’s most memorable mishaps.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day