- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Tumblr
Gone are the days when Oscar winners can blame forgetting to thank a loved one on being overwhelmed: The 2016 Academy Awards will run pre-prepared thank-you scrolls across the bottom of the screen when winners are announced during the CBS telecast on Feb. 28.
In the past, a celebrity leaving out a partner during an acceptance speech hasn't gone unnoticed and as The Hollywood Reporter has now learned, an omission can even predict a split.
THR went through 30 years' worth of acceptance speeches — every acting award given from 1986 to 2015, 120 in all — and confirmed 90 winners who were married or in a relationship during their Academy Award win. Nearly one third of those winners failed to mentioned their loved ones on stage, and the data suggests those who didn't thank their partner were more likely to split than those who did.
Here are the memorable speeches of nine married (or soon-to-be) actors and actresses who did not express their thanks — and ended up separating down the line.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Tonight Show