- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Tumblr
Not all best picture reveals spark quite as much excitement as the Moonlight/La La Land snafu of the 2017 Oscars, but for the casts and crews of each, winning the Academy's grand prize will always be a moment to remember.
From 1929's Wings to 2019's Green Book, best picture winners throughout the years have spanned multiple subjects and genres, including period epics like Victor Fleming's Gone with the Wind, musical adaptations like George Cukor's My Fair Lady and athletic dramas like Clint Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby. Many, such as Michael Curtiz's Casablanca and Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather, have maintained their ranks among the most celebrated and studied films of all time.
More recent titleholders include Argo, 12 Years a Slave, Birdman, Spotlight, Moonlight, The Shape of Water and current champion Green Book. Leading the race for filmmakers with the most best picture nominations is Steven Spielberg, though he only took home the golden trophy once for 1993's Holocaust drama, Schindler's List. More repeat winners and nominees include Coppola, Eastwood, Sam Spiegel, Peter Jackson, Cecil B. DeMille and Christopher Nolan.
View the full list of best picture winners, as well as their directors, casts and additional Oscar wins, below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day