- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Tumblr
Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) and William Turner (Orlando Bloom) return to sword fighting and rum drinking in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. In the fifth film in Disney's franchise, Sparrow will search for the trident of Poseidon and face off against nemesis Captain Salazar (Javier Bardem).
A quick primer for those unfamiliar with the Pirates films: Based on a Disney theme park ride, the movies take place in a 17th-century setting ruled by the British Empire, the Spanish Empire and the East India Company. The first three films follow the adventures and mysteries of Turner, Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) and Sparrow in the Caribbean waters. Along the way, the pirates come across curses that need to be broken, treasures that need to be stolen and villains that need to be overthrown.
From Captain Barbossa’s (Geoffrey Rush) skeleton crew to the octopus tentacles on the face of Davy Jones (Bill Nighy), the villains in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies are rather creepy. Ahead of Dead Men Tell No Tales' May 26 release in theaters, The Hollywood Reporter takes a closer look at the main villains in the five-part franchise. (Warning: Some spoilers ahead.)
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Melvin Van Peebles