- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Tumblr
Cleveland couldn't be riding higher as it welcomes the Republican National Convention from July 18 to 21. Its NBA championship by the Cavaliers is the city's first major sports coup in more than 50 years. Heightening local spirits, the state of Ohio just doubled its annual production incentive (to $40 million), so the once-derided "Mistake on the Lake," beautified by city-center investment and now better known as "Believeland," is more than ready for its close-up.
The convention, during which Donald Trump is expected to be anointed — if still not fully embraced — as his party's nominee, reportedly will feature such speakers as former Trump rival Sen. Ted Cruz, actor Antonio Sabato Jr., tech billionaire Peter Thiel and former astronaut Eileen Collins. The festivities also will attract about 50,000 visitors to the downtown Quicken Loans Arena ("The Q") and to ancillary events filling venues in the hipster neighborhoods of Tremont and Ohio City to the west and the Flats to the east.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day