- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Tumblr
Paramount's $41 million Elton John biopic Rocketman traces the life and career of one of music's most influential artists. Produced by the singer-songwriter, written by Lee Hall (Billy Elliot) and directed by Dexter Fletcher — who replaced Bryan Singer on last year's award-winning Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody — the film has been described by its star Taron Egerton as more of a fantasy musical biopic than a strict, dramatic adaptation of the entertainment legend's life.
Rocketman follows John from his days as a prodigy at the Royal Academy of Music through the formation and development of his creative relationship with lyricist Bernie Taupin, one of music's longest, most influential and dynamic partnerships. In addition to charting the incredible highs and successes of the performer's career, the pic also explores John's struggles with depression, substance abuse and accepting his sexual orientation.
While Rocketman is open about its use of creative license, all the main characters are based on real people. Below, read more about the cast, the people they portrayed and how the film's stars prepared for their roles.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day