Barbara Walters Interviews Santa Barbara Shooting Suspect's Father

Barbara Walters | April 3, backstage at "The View"
Ruven Afandor

Says Walters: "When I started doing 10 Most Fascinating People, I was criticized: 'How can you do interviews with movie stars and then serious conversations with politicians?' Now you see this every day on all the morning shows!"

Barbara Walters has taped her interview with the father of Santa Barbara shooting suspect Elliot Rodger. It is set to air Friday night, Walters said in a tweet posted Sunday.

Walters wrote that she sat down with Peter Rodger, a second-unit director on The Hunger Games, earlier that day.

PHOTOS Barbara Walters: Her Career in Pictures

The interview will be featured on a special edition of 20/20.

ABC announced earlier this month that, despite officially retiring from daytime TV in May amid a great deal of fanfare, Walters would interview Peter Rodger.

PHOTOS Anna Wintour, Bill O'Reilly, Alec Baldwin Celebrate THR's Most Powerful People in NY Media

It was unclear at that time when the interview would air, but sources told The Hollywood Reporter that representatives for the Rodger family requested Walters for the interview.

Despite leaving her role as co-host of The View, it was always the plan for Walters to remain part of the ABC News team, contributing as news warrants.

PHOTOS Jimmy Fallon, Megyn Kelly: Exclusive Portraits of THR's Most Powerful People in NY Media

Read Walters' tweet below.