8:04pm PT by Aaron Couch
'Breaking Bad': 5 Key Quotes From 'Confessions' Examined
[Warning: Spoilers ahead for Sunday's episode of Breaking Bad, "Confessions."]
Jesse (Aaron Paul) is talking again -- and no, not to Hank. This is Breaking Bad afterall, and Vince Gilligan's team can't make it that easy or expected. Jesse made our list of top five most important quotes of the episode twice -- but were they the ones you would have picked?
5. “My own brother-in-law, lying to me for over a year. Using me. Maybe you understand that feeling. Help me out here, Jesse, and we’ll put him away.” (Hank to Jesse)
Jesse is perhaps the person who can best understand what Hank (Dean Norris) is going through -- and it was interesting seeing him try to connect with the man he’d once beaten to a pulp. So much of Breaking Bad is about the fronts people put up, and Hank is no exception. Throughout the show, he’s put on the face of being the crass jokester. For him to reveal his true self to Jesse shows how much he wants to get Heisenberg.
4. “Alaska. Alaska’s good.” (Jesse to Saul)
Jesse almost got away from it all, and there’s something incredibly sad about Paul’s delivery here. His character likely would have found happiness had he gotten out of town without finding out about the ricin cigarette. It also reminds us of when he and Jane (Krysten Ritter) discussed moving to New Zealand back in season 2. Back then, Jesse also seemed sure a fresh start would be what he needed.
3. “Why don’t you kill yourself, Walt? Just kill yourself.” (Marie to Walt)
Who could have imagined lavender-loving Marie (Betsy Brandt) would end up telling her sister’s husband to kill himself by the final season? She has a valid point, though. Wouldn't everyone (Hank excluded) be sort of OK with the outcome, especially if Walt (Bryan Cranston) really is going to die in months anyway? Apparently not, as Walt fights back with his false confession.
2. “If you’re watching this tape, I’m probably dead. Murdered by my brother-in-law, Hank Schrader.” (Walt on tape)
Wow. Just wow. Walter’s confession is among the most devious things he’s ever done. It puts Hank in a box and also causes a rift between Hank and Marie, as he didn’t know about Walt’s contribution to his medical care.
1. “Just drop the whole concerned dad thing and tell me the truth … Just ask me for a favor. Just tell me you don’t give a shit about me, and it’s either this -- it’s either this, or you’ll kill me the same way you killed Mike.” (Jesse to Walt)
This is Jesse’s big moment. After a year of being manipulated by Walt, he calls him out on it. But Walt, always the master of human behavior, knows that embracing Jesse (rather than arguing with him) will get him the result he wants. Even if Jesse ultimately gets manipulated, it was thrilling to see him stand up and say what had gone unsaid.
So what do you think, Breaking Bad fanatics? What were your favorite lines from the episode? Sound off in the comments, and don’t forget to take part in our poll of 20 all-time greatest Breaking Bad quotes below.