7:53pm PT by Aaron Couch
'Breaking Bad': 5 Key Quotes from 'Rabid Dog' Examined
[Warning: spoilers ahead for Sunday’s episode of Breaking Bad, “Rabid Dog.”]
He didn’t start the fire.
Breaking Bad surprised fans by not letting Jesse (Aaron Paul) burn down Walt’s (Bryan Cranston) house the way we all wanted him to. Instead, we got a moment between Jesse and Hank (Dean Norris), which ended up providing one of the episode’s most memorable quotes.
5. "You really want to burn him down? Let's do it together" – Hank to Jesse
The team-up we’ve been waiting for is on. Hank’s promise to Jesse is electrifying. Later, Hank reveals he doesn’t value Jesse’s life, telling Gomez (Steven Michael Quezada) having Jesse meet Walt is a win-win, even if Jesse is killed in the process. "Pinkman gets killed, and we get it all on tape."
4. "You're full of colorful metaphors, aren't you, Saul? Belize, Old Yeller. Just brimming with advice. Do not float that idea again." – Walt to Saul
This is the second time this season Walt has nixed the idea of killing someone who might bring him down. Breaking Bad writer Sam Catlin tells The Hollywood Reporter the quote illustrates the soft spot Walt retains for Jesse.
3. "Walt's ruthless. He'll do just about anything to protect his interests. I agree. Except when it comes to you. He cares about you. Can't you see?" -- Hank to Jesse
Jesse (still) doesn’t realize what’s clear to the the audience. Despite all of the horrible things Walt has put him through, Heisenberg has a soft spot for his former student. Catlin tells THR Jesse has a blind spot when it comes to Walt's affections.
"Ultimately if Jesse had just listened to Hank's advice, things would have been very different," Catlin says. "In a way, Walt is a blind spot to Jesse as well. He can't see that Walt cares for him."
2. "We've come this far. For us. What's one more?" – Skyler to Walt, on killing Jesse
Skyler has laundered money and looked the other way as Walt committed countless crimes. Here she crosses another line and is willing to be complicit in murder.
1. "You two guys are just guys. OK. Mr. White – he's the devil. He is smarter than you, he is luckier than you. Whatever you think is supposed to happen, I'm telling you, the exact, reverse opposite of that is going to happen."
This is as good a description of Walt as the show has offered. No matter his circumstances, he's routinely managed to survive and often thrive. That's why it's pretty much impossible to predict how Breaking Bad will shake out. We can never underestimate Walt, even if his home will be destroyed and he's left with nothing but a large gun in the trunk of his car.
What was your favorite quote of the episode? Let us know in the comments!