11:03am PT by Rick Porter
'Cobra Kai' Overtakes 'Bridgerton' in Nielsen Streaming Rankings
Netflix's Cobra Kai and Bridgerton remained head and shoulders above the rest of the streaming world for the first full week of 2021, although the two shows swapped rankings from the previous week.
Cobra Kai topped the chart for Jan. 4-10, with Netflix users watching some 2.11 billion minutes' worth of the show's three seasons. Bridgerton slipped one spot to second place with 1.67 billion minutes, down about a billion minutes from the previous week. Cobra Kai lost about 500 million minutes of time.
Of note: Telemundo's Mariposa de Barrio became the first Spanish-language show to crack the top 10, finishing eighth overall and fifth among acquired series. Nielsen notes that the show may have received a recommendation boost from Selena: The Series, as more than a third of the latter's viewers also watched Mariposa de Barrio.
With The Office having moved to Peacock (which is not currently included in Nielsen's rankings) on Jan. 1, Criminal Minds took over as the most streamed acquired show. Netflix viewers watched 842 million minutes of the long-running crime drama. Pixar's Soul remained the No. 1 streaming movie on the four platforms Nielsen features in its rankings, racking up 520 million minutes of viewing time on Disney+.
Streaming platforms contend Nielsen's methodology doesn't capture the full scope of viewing on devices other than TV sets. Nielsen also only measures U.S. audiences, not those in other countries, and currently only includes Amazon, Disney+, Hulu and Netflix in its rankings.
Nielsen's streaming top 10s for Jan. 4-10 are below. Original streaming films are marked with an asterisk.
1. Cobra Kai (Netflix), 2.11 billion minutes viewed
2. Bridgerton (Netflix), 1.67 billion
3. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix), 768 million
4. The Crown (Netflix), 494 million
5. Virgin River (Netflix), 475 million
6. The Mandalorian (Disney+), 411 million
7. The Queen's Gambit (Netflix), 392 million
8. Gabby's Dollhouse (Netflix), 380 million
9. The Great British Baking Show (Netflix), 323 million
10. History of Swear Words (Netflix), 314 million
1. Criminal Minds (Netflix), 842 million minutes
2. Grey's Anatomy (Netflix), 704 million
3. Schitt's Creek (Netflix), 651 million
4. Cocomelon (Netflix), 612 million
5. Mariposa de Barrio (Netflix), 548 million
6. Supernatural (Netflix), 526 million
7. New Girl (Netflix), 427 million
8. NCIS (Netflix), 418 million
9. Imposters (Netflix), 273 million
10. The Blacklist (Netflix), 264 million
1. Soul* (Disney+), 520 million minutes
2. We Can Be Heroes* (Netflix), 353 million
3. Unknown (Netflix), 330 million
4. 17 Again (Netflix), 216 million
5. Pieces of a Woman* (Netflix), 190 million
6. Moana (Disney+), 182 million
7. Frozen II (Disney+), 176 million
8. Catch Me If You Can (Amazon), 170 million
9. Rango (Amazon), 134 million
10. 30 Minutes or Less (Netflix), 125 million