10:36am PT by Rick Porter
'Firefly Lane' Debuts at No. 1 in Nielsen Streaming Rankings
Netflix's Firefly Lane racked up strong viewing numbers in its premiere week, debuting at the top of Nielsen's streaming charts.
The drama starring Katherine Heigl and Sarah Chalke was the only show in the week of Feb. 1-7 to top a billion minutes of viewing time. Viewers watched 1.31 billion minutes of the 10-episode series.
Disney+'s WandaVision also had its biggest week to date with the release of its fifth episode, tallying 589 million minutes — third among originals and seventh among all titles on Disney+, Amazon, Hulu and Netflix. It grew by 37 percent week to week.
Nielsen notes that Firefly Lane's viewing was driven by people over 35, while the top acquired series for the week, Criminal Minds, was most popular among adults 18-34 — which was decidedly not the core audience for the show during its long run on CBS. Also of note among acquired shows: Canadian drama Heartland broke into the top 10 with 445 million minutes of watch time.
Netflix's The Dig was the most watched movie on the four platforms for the week, with 403 million minutes of viewing time.
Streaming platforms contend Nielsen's methodology doesn't capture the full scope of viewing on devices other than TV sets. Nielsen also only measures U.S. audiences, not those in other countries, and currently only includes Amazon, Disney+, Hulu and Netflix in its rankings.
Nielsen's streaming top 10s for Feb. 1-7 are below. Original streaming films are marked with an asterisk.
1. Firefly Lane (Netflix), 1.31 billion minutes viewed
2. Bridgerton (Netflix), 659 million
3. WandaVision (Disney+), 589 million
4. The Crown (Netflix), 305 million
5 (tie). Longmire (Netflix), 296 million
5 (tie). Cobra Kai (Netflix), 296 million
7. The Great British Baking Show (Netflix), 266 million
8. Go Dog Go (Netflix), 257 million
9. Fate: The Winx Saga (Netflix), 256 million
10. Blown Away (Netflix), 242 million
1. Criminal Minds (Netflix), 904 million minutes
2. Grey's Anatomy (Netflix), 854 million
3. Mariposa de Barrio (Netflix), 759 million
4. Schitt's Creek (Netflix), 591 million
5. Cocomelon (Netflix), 564 million
6. Henry Danger (Netflix), 544 million
7. NCIS (Netflix), 528 million
8. Heartland (Netflix), 445 million
9. Supernatural (Netflix), 425 million
10. Outlander (Netflix), 379 million
1. The Dig* (Netflix), 403 million
2. Finding 'Ohana (Netflix), 367 million
3. Moana (Disney+), 198 million
4. The Vanished (Netflix), 195 million
5. The Next Three Days (Netflix), 185 million
6. Below Zero* (Netflix), 163 million
7. Frozen (Disney+), 151 million
8. We Can Be Heroes* (Netflix), 146 million
9. All About the Benjamins (Netflix), 135 million
10. Frozen II (Disney+), 130 million