Fred Armisen to Lead Seth Meyers' 'Late Night' Band
UPDATED: The actor and musician joins his fellow "Saturday Night Live" alum in his new late-night vehicle, alongside the 8G Band.
Fred Armisen is joining Seth Meyers at Late Night. The musician and Portlandia star and his 8G Band are joining his Saturday Night Live friend as the band leader for the revamped NBC talker.
"Fred will curate and lead the band, and continue to run it even when he's off shooting Portlandia," Meyers tweeted Monday. (The host also included this photo.)
Armisen departed Saturday Night Live at the end of the last season. He joined the show for Meyer's final broadcast in January. Portlandia, about to start its fourth season on IFC, has previous provided a musical outlet for Armisen. In addition to performing on the series, he and co-star and co-creator Carrie Brownstein have performed songs while touring to promote the show.
A drummer and a guitarist, Armisen was a drummer for the punk rock band Trenchmouth in the late 1980s. He also played background drums for The Blue Man Group in the mid-90s.
Music played a huge role in the Jimmy Fallon era Late Night. In addition to the high-profile addition of The Roots as his house band, Fallon became one of the more adventurous music bookers in late night. He also frequently performed with his guests, wrapping the run before his Tonight move with a Muppets sing-along.
Meyers' Late Night will not feature music as heavily his predecessor, but the noteworthy addition of Armisen means that he won't be shying away from it either.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)