7:31pm PT by Lesley Goldberg
'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: Get Up, Stand Up
[Warning: This story contains spoilers from Thursday's "I Saw Her Standing There" episode of Grey's Anatomy.]
The new realties for the plane crash survivors and their loved ones are beginning to take shape on ABC's Grey's Anatomy.
During the fourth episode of the season, Arizona (Jessica Capshaw) took a huge leap forward mentally, physically and emotionally as she not only left the house but was fitted for a prosthetic leg and made headway in mending her marriage to Callie (Sara Ramirez).
Meanwhile, Meredith and Derek learned how to navigate his inability to operate with her exuberance about a rare case and found a happy ground as Cristina, Jackson, April, Webber and Catherine Avery all had a "physical release" of their own.
Here are the highlights from the Kevin McKidd-directed episode, titled "I Saw Her Standing There."
1. Meredith (Ellen Pompeo) and Derek (Patrick Dempsey) are in a good place. After learning that Meredith lied about a rare case so as not to make her hubby jealous, the duo quickly kiss and make up, with Derek on a self-proclaimed "contact high" from her surgical feats.
2. Owen (McKidd) -- like Callie -- isn't sleeping much and confides in Derek that he doesn't think Cristina (Sandra Oh) will ever return to Seattle and their relationship. In a speech designed to help Derek with Meredith's surgical lie, he reveals that he's afraid he'll emotionally retreat back to Derek's old RV, which he ultimately does.
3. Cristina's back to her old self -- and has a "sex friend" in the weasely Dr. Parker (Steven Culp). Cris figures out that Parker's plotting to get rid of Dr. Thomas (William Daniels) by forcing him to retire and pushes the elder doctor to prove he's still got the chops to be there. After helping him prove his worth, Cris ends it with Parker.
4. April (Sarah Drew) and Jackson (Jesse Williams) can't stay out of the on-call room, despite Catherine's (Debbie Allen) return to romance the Chief (James Pickens Jr.) and her attempt to set April up on a blind date. It's nice to see April with a bit of a backbone and putting Alex in his place as the newfound confidence suits her well.
5. Speaking of family drama, Jackson tells the Chief that he doesn't like his boss dating his mother -- but Webber doesn't back down and tells him to get used to it as he has no plans of hurting Catherine. A bonus: Bailey (Chandra Wilson) also approves of the Chief's swagger.
6. Arizona (Jessica Capshaw) is back at Seattle Grace -- for a fitting for her prosthetic -- where she has a never-ending exam with her prosthetist, David Moore (Ethan Embry). After snapping at Callie (Sara Ramirez), David leaves her to her own devices, where she begins to literally take her first step with the assistance of a prosthetic leg.
7. Alex (Justin Chambers) is concerned about Arizona and feels guilty about his role in the crash -- on the flight he should have been on and as the doctor who performed the amputation. However, Callie has been covering for him and has taken on all the blame, as Arizona has no idea that Alex was the one who performed the surgery. When he does finally see Arizona, he makes a plea for her prompt return to the peds department, subtly reminding her of the life that awaits her recovery. "I’m trying," she says. "You know, Callie's trying, too," he replies before leaving, setting the stage for her to begin repairing the emotional damage she's done to Callie.
8. Callie's been staying at Mark's apartment across the hall where she's not only coping with her role in her wife's amputation but also her best friend's death. After Arizona's rehab strides, she's extended the olive branch as the couple begins to reconnect.
What did you think of the episode? Do you think Callie covering for Alex will come back to hurt them? Do you think Cristina will return to Seattle and Owen? Hit the comments with your thoughts. In the meantime, check out a promo for the next Grey's Anatomy, below.
Grey's Anatomy airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. on ABC.