12:30pm PT by Rick Porter
Johnny Weir Joins Netflix Skating Drama 'Spinning Out'
Former Olympian Johnny Weir will take to the ice in Netflix's upcoming skating drama Spinning Out, joining five other actors who have signed on to the series.
Weir will play a rival to the show's lead characters, Kat (Kaya Scodelario) and Justin (Evan Roderick). Kat is an up-and-coming single figure skater whose path is derailed by a disastrous fall. She then takes a chance to continue her career with a bad-boy partner in Justin — while risking exposure of a secret that could unravel her entire life.
Weir, whose figure-skating commentary at the past two Winter Olympics has been a must-watch for fans, will play Gabe. He seems like an easygoing guy, but underneath is a cutthroat competitor who will stop at nothing to beat Kat and Justin.
Also joining the show are:
- Sarah Wright Olsen (American Made, Parks and Recreation) as Mandy, Justin's stepmother.
- Will Kemp (Reign) as Mitch, an in-demand skating coach who signs on to mentor Kat's sister Serena (Willow Shields).
- Kaitlyn Leeb (Shadowhunters) as Leah, Gabe's beautiful, mean partner. She's out to get Kat after Kat replaces her as Justin's partner.
- Amanda Zhou (Netflix's October Faction) as Jenn, Kat's best friend and a talented skater who is Serena's primary competition.
- Mitchell Edwards (Roxanne Roxanne) as Marcus, Kat's co-worker at a lodge bar, son of a prominent African-American family and a gifted skier trying to find a place in the predominantly white sport.
Former competitive skater Samantha Stratton (Mr. Mercedes) created Spinning Out and will serve as co-showrunner with Lara Olsen (90210). Both executive produce along with Tory Tunnell and Joby Harold of Safehouse Pictures.