9:14am PT by Rebecca Ford
Robert Wagner Guest Stars on 'NCIS' as Murder Suspect (Video)
Inconveniently timed, to say the least, Robert Wagner will play a murder suspect on Tuesday’s episode of NCIS.
The episode airs just a few days after the investigation into Wagner’s then-wife Natalie Wood’s death was reopened by police. Wagner and Christopher Walken were on a boat with Wood when she died after falling overboard. Her death was ruled an accident at the time.
Wagner will appear on CBS’ NCIS as Anthony DiNozzo, Sr., the father of Tony DiNozzo, Jr. (Michael Weatherly). DiNozzo Sr. is found in a car with a dead body in the trunk and no memory of the previous night, so his son must figure out if he was involved in the murder.
“I have no recollection of what happened,” says Robert Wagner’s character in the previews (Watch below).
While the timing of Wagner’s appearance is awkward, it is not his first time guest starring on the show. Wagner first played this role in the 150th episode of the show in January 2010.
Last week, police announced that they were reopening the investigation into actress Natalie Wood’s death. Almost exactly 30 years ago, Wood was on a boat off of the coast of Southern California's Catalina Island with her then-husband Wagner and Walken. After an argument broke out between Wagner and Walken, Wood mysteriously disappeared from her yacht.
At the time, authorities ruled her death an accidental drowning, but many have questioned the events of that night, including her sister, Lana Wood, and the yacht's captain, Dennis Davern, who more than a year ago were both calling for the department to reopen its investigation.
Davern, who wrote a book about Wood’s death in 2009, has been doing the media circuit, appearing on NBC's Today, where he said that he lied to investigators about the actress’ mysterious death 30 years ago, and then alleged that Wagner had something to do with her death.
Wagner released a statement soon after the case was reopened, expressing his family’s support for the reinvestigation. "Although no one in the Wagner family has heard from the LA County Sheriff’s department about this matter, they fully support the efforts of the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department and trust they will evaluate whether any new information relating to the death of Natalie Wood Wagner is valid and that it comes from a credible source or sources other than those simply trying to profit from the 30-year anniversary of her tragic death,” said the statement.