8:45pm PT by Philiana Ng, Aaron Couch
'Sherlock' Season 3 Premiere: 10 Funniest Quotes
[Warning: spoilers ahead for the season 3 premiere of Sherlock, "The Empty Hearse"]
Sherlock is officially back from the dead, and the legendary detective has returned just in time to foil a terrorist attack and make fun of Watson's new mustache.
The season 3 premiere of the PBS/BBC series picks up two years after Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) faked his own death, leaving Watson (Martin Freeman) thinking his friend really was gone for good. Holmes returns to London at the urging of his brother, Mycroft (Sherlock co-creator Mark Gatiss), who says a terror attack on London is imminent.
Despite the heavy subject matter of resurrection, mayhem and terror, the episode is light on its feet and contains some of the best lines of the series to date. Below, The Hollywood Reporter counts down ten of the best quotes, in the order they took place.
1. "We'll have to get rid of that. He looks ancient. I can't be seen walking around with an old man." -- Sherlock says as he discovers John Watson's new mustache via a surveillance photo.
2. "What's his name?" -- Mrs. Hudson asks John after he breaks the news that he's planning to propose to Mary.
3. "It is familiar but with a quality of surpriseee!" -- Sherlock, dressed as a French waiter (complete with thick accent), to a preoccupied John.
4. "Does yours rub off too?"… "Are you going to keep that?"… "Seriously it's not a joke, you're keeping that?" -- Sherlock to John about his mustache.
5. "I don't shave for Sherlock Holmes." -- John, as he shaves off his mustache
"You should put it on a T-shirt." -- Mary (And yes, it's really a T-shirt.)
6. "Whoopsie!" -- Sherlock says as Mycroft loses their game of Operation! after getting buzzed with the heart.
7. "Clients?" -- John
"No, just my parents." -- Sherlock says as he hurriedly pushes his parents out the door.
"Well … that is not what I … they're just so … ordinary." -- John
"It's a cross I have to bear." -- Sherlock
8. "I prefer my doctors clean-shaven." -- Sherlock
"That's not something you hear every day." --John
9. "Not the way I'd have done it. I'm not saying it's not clever, but a bit disappointed."-- Anderson acting as the audience after Sherlock "tells him" how he faked the Fall.
"Ugh, everyone's a critic."-- Sherlock
10. "Oh, please, killing me? That's so two years ago." -- Sherlock