6:00am PT by Lesley Goldberg
Syfy Development Slate Includes 'Fan Boy' Project From 'Jersey Shore's' SallyAnn Salsano (Exclusive)
Syfy is looking to expand its geek empire with the help of Jersey Shore's SallyAnn Salsano.
The NBCUniversal-owned cable network has put eight unscripted projects into its development pipeline, including Fan Girl/Fan Boy Project from the producer of MTV's hit reality franchise, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.
The potential docuseries would celebrate the unique and often misunderstood fanboy and fangirl culture (science fiction/fantasy/super hero offerings encompassing comics, video games, TV and movies and those who obsess over them) and hail from Salsano's 495 Productions.
Joining the Fan Boy project vying for a slot on the network's primetime slate -- which includes Ghost Hunters, Face Off and its upcoming Jaleel White-hosted effort Total Blackout -- are efforts featuring mind reader Chris Cox, a project involving cosplay as well as a pair of video series.
The eight projects come a mere three months after the network bolsterd its unscripted department with the addition of five executives.
A look at Syfy's unscripted development slate follows. The network is slated to present its slate to advertisers Tuesday in New York.
• Chris Cox Project-- Chris Cox is the mind reader who can’t read minds. Coxhas the mind-manipulating abilities of Derren Brown, the mischief of Ferris Bueller and the comic eccentricity of Mr. Bean all wrapped in a style uniquely his own. In everyday situations and locations -- at a coffee shop, the post office, or just walking down the street -- Chris amazes and confounds real people. Production company: Mission Control Media. Executive producers: Dwight Smith, Michael Agbabian, Erich Recker.
• Divas of Dress Up -- Follows the six hottest cos-play stars as they push the boundaries of creativity and costuming in this docu-series that takes viewers inside the amazingly creative world of cos-play competition. Each week, the top women competitors transform themselves into fictional characters with visually arresting costumes, pushing the boundary between fantasy and reality. Production company: Skip Films. Executive producers: Skip Chaisson, Brian Gallagher.
• Fan Girl/Fan Boy Project -- From the producer of Jersey Shore comes a docuseries that celebrates the incredibly unique, often misunderstood and infinitely fascinating fan girl and fan boy cultures. Production company: 495 Productions. Executive producer: SallyAnn Salsano.
• Limitless-- Recounts firsthand, true-life tales of ordinary men and women who discovered hidden powers -- they never knew existed -- when faced with extreme life and death circumstances. Every story will explore the often unexplainable potential of the human body and psyche, leaving viewers to wonder what hidden abilities humans might possess. Production company: Karga 7. Executiveproducers: Kelly McPherson, Miriam Leffert, Sarah Wetherbee, Emre Sahin.
• Superhuman -- Uncovers the secrets of unbelievable stunts, record-breaking abilities and exceptional feats of human power and skill by putting real people through physical on-location challenges and a series of tests in a high-tech lab to answer the question: “How did they do that?” Production company: BASE Productions. Executive producers: John Brenkus, Mickey Stern.
• Toy Traveler-- Shane Turgeon, the Indiana Jones of toy collectors, travels to remote corners of the world to find the rarest and most valuable toys and collectibles. Whether it’s in an old toy warehouse in a remote Guatemalan town or a small swap meet in the Ukraine, Shane will go to all lengths to find the most unique and collectible toys. Production company: Jarrett Creative Group. Executive producers: Seth Jarrett, Julie Insogna Jarrett.
• Master Control-- A weekly competition that pits user-generated videos against one another in a battle for viewer popularity. Each week, self-submitted videos must entertain the host, celebrity panel and the entire viewing audience, who are all simultaneously rating the video and anointing a winner. Production company: The Gurin Co. Executive producers: Phil Gurin, Kevin Pereira.
• Stranger Than Fiction -- A viral video clip show where comedians compete for laughs while commenting on and arguing over the strangest clips from the web. Good jokes earn points, while lame jokes lose them. At the end of the show, one comedian is crowned the irreverent victor. Production company: BASE Productions. Executive producers: John Brenkus, Mickey Stern.