TV Ratings: BET's 'Being Mary Jane' Scores Huge Premiere
Topping the season premiere of "The Game" and everything else on cable, the new original continues a strong week for the network after Sunday's BET Awards.
BET topped cable twice this week in the key adults 18-49 demographic, following Sunday's strong showing from its flagship award show with premieres for The Game and Being Mary Jane.
Being Mary Jane, a new series starring Gabrielle Union, saw its 90-minute pilot debut at 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday to an impressive 2.0 rating with adults 18-49 and 4 million viewers. Among the targeted demographic, only NBC's America's Got Talent (2.3 adults rating) bested Being Mary Jane across all of television.
While the series won't debut until 2014, the feature got a strong sampling thanks in no small part to the return of The Game. BET's flagship scripted series kicked off its sixth season with a 1.7 18-49 rating and 3.6 million viewers at 10 p.m. A midnight encore of the episode even managed to pull in an additional 2.7 million viewers and a 1.2 demo rating.
Both premieres received strong promotion on Sunday night. The BET Awards, topping all other cable awards shows for the second year running, pulled in 7.8 million viewers and a 3.4 rating among adults 18-49.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR