1:34pm PT by Lesley Goldberg
'TV's Top 5' Podcast: How Disney+ Stacks Up, Plus a 'Game of Thrones' Final Season Preview
Welcome back to TV's Top 5, The Hollywood Reporter's TV podcast.
In every episode, the weekly podcast — hosted by The Hollywood Reporter's West Coast TV editor, Lesley Goldberg (that's me!), and chief TV critic, Daniel Fienberg — will feature five topics that are top of mind in the TV industry and go inside the latest headlines, as well as provide a critical guide of what to watch (or skip, as the case may be).
This week's five topics are:
1. Disney+ just dropped the mic. With a nearly four-hour presentation, Disney didn't need stars like J.J. Abrams and Jennifer Aniston to impress Hollywood — and Wall Street. Instead, the House that Mickey built allowed its massively popular brands to do all the talking. Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar AND The Simpsons, oh my! Goldberg and Fienberg put Disney's new streaming platform in context as it compares with Netflix, Apple and the upcoming WarnerMedia (and Comcast). The analysis begins at the 2:12 mark.
2. What's a packaging fee? As the Writers Guild and agencies continue to go head to head over packaging fees, Goldberg and Fienberg explain the issue at the center of the fight that could have a massive impact on writers amid the height of staffing season. The breakdown begins at the 16:13 mark.
3. Network check-in: AMC. In the first of a new recurring segment, Goldberg and Fienberg put AMC under the microscope after a week that saw the basic cable network order a third show in The Walking Dead franchise and end Preacher at a time when The Son and Into the Badlands are both wrapping their respecting runs. The conversation begins at the 22:58 mark.
4. Game of Thrones final season preview. Fienberg and Goldberg are joined by THR's Westeros correspondent and Series Regular podcast host Josh Wigler for a conversation about what to really expect from the final season (here's a hint: lots of death). The spirited deep dive begins at the 32:11 mark.
5. Critic's Corner. As always, every episode ends with Fienberg offering his critical thoughts about what to watch (or skip). This week, he weighs in on Netflix's Special and more. Tune in starting at the 42:47 mark.
Hear it all now on TV's Top 5. Be sure to subscribe to the podcast to never miss an episode. (Reviews welcome!) You can also email Goldberg and Fienberg with any topics or questions you'd like to be addressed in future episodes at TVsTop5@THR.com.
TV's Top 5 is part of THR's roster of podcasts, including Awards Chatter, Scott Feinberg's weekly in-depth (and award-winning) interview show focusing on the most interesting talents of the Oscar and Emmy seasons; genre reporter Josh Wigler's newly launched Series Regular (which will cover Game of Thrones weekly to start); crafts expert Carolyn Giardina's weekly series, Behind the Screen, which explores the top artists and technologies creating film and TV magic; and Seth Abramovitch's monthly series, It Happened in Hollywood, which revisits indelible moments from 90 years of THR's entertainment history. Other podcasts are in the works.