- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Attack the Block finally has a release date.
Screen Gems will release the teen sci-fi movie, which is the directorial debut of Adventures of Tintin co-writer Joe Cornish, on July 29.
The movie won the 2011 SXSW Audience Award and Screen Gems picked it up in early March and will also screen at the Los Angeles Film Festival.
And while July 29 may seem like it’s around the corner, the company has been conducting word-of-mouth screenings in recent weeks as it deliberated slotting the picture.
Still, the date is already a hot geek date, with Universal releasing Cowboys & Aliens that day.
Block follows a gang of tough inner-city kids who rob a young woman (Jodie Whittaker) as she is walking home in a scary South London tower block. She escapes when the gang is attacked by a small alien creature which falls from the sky. A second wave of creatures falls, this time bigger and more savage with the gang, who being hunted by the woman and the police, becomes the city’s unlikely heroes as the teen grab weapons, mount bikes, and set out to defend their turf.
The movie has been winning over the early viewers with its balance of fun and thrills and its harkening back to flicks like Gremlins and Goonies.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day