- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Child, aka Baby Yoda, from The Mandalorian is already the top pre-order Funko Pop of all time — and the figure isn’t even out until May. Funko art director Reis O’Brien revealed the news on Thursday via a Twitter video in which he discussed the development of the toy.
“It’s bananas,” O’Brien said of the figure’s popularity. He added that the company was sent design specs for the character on a need-to-know basis. No one was shown early episodes of the series prior to Disney sending over character information.
“They’ve got to guard spoilers. They’ve got to keep secrets,” O’Brien said. “As far as story points go, we get nothing.”
The Baby Yoda Funko Pop figure was unveiled in December, which is when it was made available for pre-order. O’Brien did not disclose how many units have been ordered. The best-selling Funko Pop, for the moment, is Baby Dancing Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
The character took the world by storm when the little tyke appeared for the first time in the Disney+ series’ initial episode.
Fans clamored for toys, but there were none available for the holiday season because Disney did not want any spoilers to leak via catalogs.
— Funko (@OriginalFunko) February 6, 2020
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day