- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Bill Nighy is in negotiations to join the cast of Total Recall, Columbia’s Colin Farrell-led remake of the 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger action movie.
The film, which starts shooting in June in Toronto and will be directed by Len Wiseman, also stars Bryan Cranston as the villain, and Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel as the female leads. Ethan Hawke is on board for a cameo.
The movie ditches the Martian storyline from the original pic and instead involves nation states Euromerica and New Shanghai. Farrell plays Douglas Quaid, a factory worker in the latter who begins to believe he is a spy — although he doesn’t know for which side.
Nighy will play Quatto, the leader of the resistance. (In the 1990 movie, the character, called Kuato, was played by Marshall Bell with the conceit that the leader was actually a small mutant living off the human.)
Nighy has made a name in the geek community playing a vampire ruler in the Underworld movies and Davy Jones in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. He can next be seen on the big screen as Minister Rufus Scrimgeour in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.
Nighy is repped by WME, Markham, Froggatt & Irwin and Jackoway Tierman.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day