- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
After an exhaustive search, Disney and director Brad Bird are zeroing in on the star of the much-buzzed0about sci-fi project Tomorrowland.
Britt Robertson, one of leads on The Secret Circle and Under the Dome, and Naomi Scott, who appeared on Terra Nova and starred in Lemonade Mouth, are the finalists for the role. The duo will be undergoing a full hair and makeup test in Vancouver in early July, sources tell Heat Vision.
While George Clooney is the A-list name on the Tomorrowland roll call, the script’s main character is Casey Newton, a rebellious teenage girl who comes to Clooney’s character, a disgruntled inventor, for help on a quest. Observers say the part has potential to be star-making.
Raffey Cassidy is set as a kid robot who joins the duo, and Hugh Laurie is playing the movie’s antagonist.
The plot has been described as being in the vein of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Steven Spielberg’s 1977 movie about a man searching for extraterrestrials on Earth, and centers on the teen, the inventor and the kid robot trying to save a place called Tomorrowland.
The studio has spent months looking at numerous actresses (Shailene Woodley was an early contender), and sources caution that if the testing doesn’t produce a choice, the search will continue.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day